Warning After Incense Sparks Two House Fires In Cambs

Fire crews have issued safety advice about incense sticks after they were involved in two separate house fires.

Crews attended a house fire in Keyston in Huntingdonshire on the morning of April 30, while less than an hour later crews were called to similar fire in Soham.

A fire service spokesman said: “These fires were both started by incense sticks that had been left unattended. Lighting incense is a common and popular way of spreading aromatic scents around the house. However residents often overlook the risk they can pose if left unattended, particularly if close to curtains or by a window. House fires from incense sticks initially ignite when hot ash falls directly on to carpet or flammable surfaces.

“Incense and candles can be dangerous if left unattended, so always ensure they are placed in a draught-free area, well away from curtains, furniture or other flammable surfaces.

"Make sure you leave plenty of space around the area and ensure that the surface is flat and stable. Taking the necessary precautions can help protect your family, property and belongings.” 

 

More from Local News

Listen Live
On Air Now Evenings on Star Radio 7:00pm - Midnight
Now Playing Jane Wiedlin

Rush Hour

Follow Us

Travel

  • Transport networks - United Kingdom, London

    Restrictions and there are limited reasons for not 'staying at home' due to the Coronavirus outbreak. The Government website shows permitted reasons for going outside on Transport networks around the United Kingdom.

Get The App

Take Star Radio with you wherever you go and listen to us live. Interact with the studio and call, email, text and Tweet us all directly from within the app.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

Listener Club

Sign up now for the latest updates and exclusive competitions on Star!